11/26/2012

11-26-12 - Chickens and Hawks

Hawk with kill in our yard :

And in context :

The chickens were out free ranging at the time; they all ran inside the coop and climbed back into the farthest corner nesting box and sat on top each other in a writhing pile of terrified chickens.


Watching animals is pretty entertaining. I remember when I was younger, I used to think it was a pathetic waste of time. Old people would sit around and watch the cats play, or get all excited about going on safari or whatever, and I would think "ppfft, boring, whatever, I've seen it on TV, what a sad vapid way to get entertainment, you oldsters are all so brain-dead, doing nothing with your time, you could be learning quantum field theory, but you've all just given up on life and want to sit around smiling at animals". Well, that's me now.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Woah that's really cool. I love the intense look on the hawk's face. Beautiful feathers on the front.

Tom Forsyth said...

It's a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-Shinned Hawk (and the victim is a juvenile European Starling). The wife thinks from the scale it's probably a juvenile Cooper's, but it's unclear - the only obvious difference is the end of the tail, which is buried in the leaves.

old rants