1/08/2011

01-08-11 - Random Music Stuff

In the recent pop music category, Tame Impala and Caribou are my faves :

YouTube - Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss
YouTube - CARIBOU - Odessa

(I actually am doing a pretty good job these days of completely cutting myself off from pop media like TV and radio, so I have very little concept of what is "overplayed" and thus uncool; it lets me just listen to what I like without caring if its too mainstream to be cool enough for me, which is nice)

There's so much retro-remake 80's synth shit going on right now; I don't know why you would listen to that when you could just go to the originals :

YouTube - Visage - Fade to Grey
YouTube - Sharevari @ The Scene, Detroit (Remastered)
YouTube - Bruce Haack Party Machine
(BTW the documentary on Bruce Haack is pretty great)

Decent sexy groove, a bit cheezy :

YouTube - The Weeknd - What You Need

This is the one that really stuck from my old prog searches, the song just carries you on this epic journey, takes you away some place weird, then brings you home to rock :

YouTube - Room - Andromeda (1970)

I watched Lila Says which was a pretty shit movie, but it reminded me how amazing this song is :

YouTube - ( Air - ) Run

Digging dubstep in general; it's amusing to compare the Ed Solo version to the original :

YouTube - Ed Solo - Age of Dub
YouTube - AGE OF LOVE

Dig this heavy slow jam :
Sukh Knight - Clotted Cream
Sukh Knight - Jewel Thief

Some other electronica that's good :

YouTube - Moderat - Rusty Nails
YouTube - Burial & Four Tet - Moth

We got a record player for christmas, and it's fun finding old shit and rediscovering the magic of simple stereo-mastered vinyl. Older music sounds so much better, I think you have to go before roughly 1980 to get stuff that hasn't been ruined by studios and producers (plus, modern shit is mixed in really weird ways so it sounds okay on headphones and 7.1 systems and such, you want to find good old stereo mixes). It's so raw and immediate, it sounds like you're in the same room as the band. All that horrible classic rock that they play constantly on the radio sounds so amazing on vinyl with a plain old analog stereo amp. Anyway, some random shit that I rediscovered the greatness of through the vinyl :

YouTube - Eddie Money - Baby Hold On
YouTube - Be My Friend by Free - their best-ever version
Free - Woman ; Free is so fucking great I can't get over it
YouTube - THREE DOG NIGHT- SHAMBALA

3 comments:

ryg said...

Moderat/Modeselektor have a lot of good stuff. Also worth checking out:
Moderat - Seamonkey (same album as Rusty Nails - actually the whole album is good, one of my faves from 2009)
Modeselektor ft. Siriusmo - Deboutonner
Sirisumo - Einmal in der Woche schreien

"Older music sounds so much better, I think you have to go before roughly 1980 to get stuff that hasn't been ruined by studios and producers (plus, modern shit is mixed in really weird ways so it sounds okay on headphones and 7.1 systems and such, you want to find good old stereo mixes)."
Newer stuff is mostly compressed to death (dynamic range compression, not data compression). Vinyls are (even now) nowhere near as bad because there's hard limitations on how far you can push average volume level without the vinyls being physically damaged during playback. See Wikipedia on the Loudness war. Particularly awful case here.

cbloom said...

Yeah I actually like Seamonkey better, I just randomly picked that one. Thanks for the recommendations.

Jim said...

Good old classic rock on vinyl: Humble Pie's "Rock On"

old rants