1/08/2010

01-08-10 - Home and notes

I'm home. Good fucking lord Seattle is dark and gray. It's almost funny, it's such a ridiculous stereotype; we got in from this glory of sun and heat into storybook misery. We flew in at 6 AM, and when the sun rose you could hardly tell - there was no sign anywhere of the sun's location, just a uniform dark gray dim light everywhere.

It's weird that we don't have slang words for "net friend" or "net acquaintance" that we can use in casual conversation. As in "my net acquaitance found an abandoned Nike missile site".

Cliff Mass writes a very interesting Seattle weather blog and also occasional depressing posts about the pathetic state of education in America (WA state in particular).

One thing I realized overseas is that I really don't like the idea of getting on random internet cafe computers and checking my email. Of course I clear histories and all that, but god knows those machines are probably full of every malware and worm in the world. Furthermore, it's annoying not having my own bookmarks and local settings and so on. I should really be able to log into a safe VM and do my browsing from there. The VM could store my passwords and use "hard to log" methods of validating my identity (such as a keypad you have to click to enter a code with buttons in randomized locations). This seems like one of those things that should clearly exist.

One of the annoying things about using net cafes overseas is the computer is in some foreign language, which is a mess to change in Windows, and then even if you change that, the browser knows your location so you get sent to google.co.th instead of google.com , which is fucking annoying. I dunno if there's some way to make all web sites act like you are browsing from the US, but certainly if you were going through a VM you could do it.

2 comments:

Scott Graham said...

> One thing I realized overseas is that I really don't like the idea of getting on random internet cafe computers and checking my email

LastPass does some helpful things. One time passwords, and screen keyboard. I'm sure there's other similar things. I tried setting up a tunnel to my desktop one trip, but it's generally too slow on ass internet cafe connections.

Aaron said...

Fresh out today: Computer on a stick.

old rants