11/03/2009

11-03-09 - Notes

WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is a solvent.

Ooo ! Ooo ! I want Google Voice really bad, just for this :


The SMS messages that are sent to your Google number will also be
displayed on the website. You can reply to the SMS from the Web as well.

holy christ it's so retarded that I get texts in my phone and have to reply using my phone keypad when I'm sitting right here at my computer. All forms of my communications should be accessible from any kind of electronic portal.

I pray to god Google puts the predatory incompetent corrupt cell phone companies out of business. Maybe next Google will open a bank?

Actually a Google Bank is not a terrible idea.

... well I got in the Beta for Voice. Hmm.. I'm not sure that it's actually awesome. The problem is that the "read" status for voice mail & text messages is not propagated among the various devices (handset and computer), which means I have to look through things in both locations. That's annoying. Also the texts that are sent through to your phone show up as being from some random Google number, not the original sender, so you can't easily identify the sender in your phone, you have to read them all.

The transcribed voicemail is awesome, but again the result is that my real phone voice mailbox fills up with shit I've already seen on the web, and I have to go through and maintain that all the time. I guess if I had an Android phone and it was actually all kept in sync properly that would rock.

4 comments:

Wes Bigelow said...

If you add the phone numbers of your friends to Gmail/Gvoice contact manager, their names will show up as the first words in any SMS that you receive from them.

There is also an option to reply directly to an SMS from Gmail. I tag my SMS's with a colored label, it's slick.

cbloom said...

"If you add the phone numbers of your friends to Gmail/Gvoice contact manager, their names will show up as the first words in any SMS that you receive from them."

- yeah I know, that's no good. I still have to open all the texts to see them, because the list of texts in my phone just shows who it's from.

"There is also an option to reply directly to an SMS from Gmail. I tag my SMS's with a colored label, it's slick."

- yeah I'm using that and it's great and all, but the SMS is echoed through to my phone even though I replied from gmail which is the whole annoyance.

Wes Bigelow said...

The SMS *you send* from the web echoes back to your phone? It doesn't work like that for me. I only receive new SMS's to my phone when there is a reply, as you'd expect. (And when I'm sitting at home I actually disable that they send to my phone at all.)

George McBay said...

I've been using Google Voice for a while now and it has some very nice features, especially for a free service, but the audio transcriptions are generally pretty bad for me when I get a call from someone who is on a cell phone and whose connection is less than perfect.

Here are some recent messages I've gotten... the voice versions of them make perfect sense, were delivered by native English speakers with no strong accent and are often laughably different in message context than what you see here:

----
Okay, you just called. And hey, i'm just picked up the phone, this is. Thanks.
-----
Ohh. Hey George, It's not working. I'm calling to see him tools and you know. Well, I'm going to Australia of ha 14 cracked clear. Thank you.
-----
Hey George, It's me, it's around today 30 just calling to see what's up. I think you're probably still at work. Okay honey something infringing hungry, so just give me a call back when you get a chance. Bye.
-----
Hey George, it's about 5 PM. I need to talk to you for a walk come down to the code I don't. I think I get reception on there so if you call me as Our that you're gonna be okay. Talk to you later. Bye.
----

old rants