7/31/2009

07-31-09 - Visual Assist X is fucking annoying

In other news, I'm trying to get on VS 2005 from 2003. I'd like to keep my 2003 install working, but fucking Visual Assist X stomps on my Visual Assist .NET ; the whole reason I've stuck to 2003 all this time is because Visual Assist X sucks donkey balls and VA.NET is the bomb. Fuck. I wanted to keep my VS.2003 + VA.NET because it's my favorite editing environment, I would still use it to write my old personal code, but if I need 2005 for work then I need VAX and that kills 2003.

If you read the VA.X forums, it's obvious they have the same dick-wad attitude as perforce. Tons of people complain about the same issues, and all the replies from VA.X people are like "is there actually a problem with how it works now" or "try it for a while and see if you get used to it". FUCK YOU I want it the way *I* want it, not the way *you* want it.

My main complaint with VA.X is with the whole listbox/suggest system. It pops up all kinds of flashing boxes all over the place which change and move around as you type. It's epilepsy inducing just like a Dragon Ball Z episode. It's like a spastic retard with tourettes yelling at you as you type. You type "pr" and it starts yelling "printf! no process! procedure!". My solution at the moment is just to turn it off (don't ask me how I turned it off; I couldn't find an option to turn it off and was just randomly clicking things and then it was off; I'm not sure I could turn it back on if I wanted to). So all I'm getting basically is enhanced syntax coloring.

What I would like is for it to act like VA.NET - first of all it needs a typing delay so it doesn't pop up unless you pause for a second, and then it should be slim and subtly colored and stable. And I really don't need a list box of suggestions, I only need the one most likely, if it's not right I'll keep typing.

If all you want is "open opposite" and "open project file", NiftySolution is the way to go. For a little bit more, WorkspaceWhiz also seems pretty nice and lightweight, though it's currently broken for me, I'm in touch with the dev and hopefully it will get fixed.

One nice thing that WorkspaceWhiz and Visual Assist both give you is browsing without browse info. That is, they do their own parse of the text directly and don't rely on the MSVC browse info build system which is horribly broken (one of the many problems with it is that you get no browse info on files until you compile them).

NiftyPerforce for VC2005 + is totally superior to the Perforce provided plugin. Good job.

It sort of annoys me that I can't write code without an editor enhancement any more. But I guess that's like saying I'm annoyed that I can't commute without a car.

4 comments:

Sam said...

VA drives me batty! The only things I use it for are enhanced syntax highlighting, open in workspace, and header flip. Why are header flip and the enhanced syntax highlighting not a standard part of the IDE?!?!? VS has a built in way to "go to header file" from a CPP but not the other way around. WTF?! I would junk VA entirely and use WW or NiftySolution if I could get the syntax highlighting some other way; I can't live without that now.

Yeah NiftyPerforce kicks so much ass compared to Visual Studio's retarded way of SC binding crap. Gah!

cbloom said...

BTW funny commentary on the extreme suckitude of VAX :

I thought I had turned off the suggestions listbox. It turns out it was just broken. It randomly started popping up again later in the day. I'm still not sure how to actually turn it on and off.

Tom said...

Different syntax highlighting without VAX:

http://www.codekana.com/

For VAX, for whatever it's worth, I've found the following settings useful. With them, if you see a suggestion you like, press Tab to take it. Otherwise, do nothing, and it won't fill your code with crap. The popups still steal the cursor keys, but overall I much prefer it to the defaults, which shit erroneous suggestions all over the place and muck about with what you typed.

Advanced, Listboxes, "Selections committed with" - choose Tab only

Advanced, Corrections, "Convert dot to ->" - off (I made a macro for typing "->" instead and bound it to Alt+,; I like this way more now.)

Advanced, Corrections, "Insert () etc." - off

Then add in the registry setting from the last response here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7023

I keep meaning to switch away from VAX, but I'm totally lost without it. Dreadful...

cbloom said...

Hmm, not bad. CodeKana + WWhiz could be a nice unobtrusive VA replacement.

(still having trouble with WWhiz not working)

old rants