6/21/2009

06-21-09 - Blog consultation

So I'm thinking about renting this place ; it's kind of ridiculous, it's a 2 BR which I don't need, it's $1950 which is an outrageous amount to pay for rent (and they're overcharging for the current market conditions). Sticking with the negative, it's a duplex, and the bottom halve is inhabited by the owner. I'm somewhat worried about that, I don't like the idea of seeing the owner all the time, it makes me feel like I'm being watched and judged which is a very unpleasant feeling. Oh, and the driveway is shared and only wide enough for one car so you have to ask each other to move to get your cars in and out, that seems awful.

On the plus side, the kitchen is huge and full of light and has a real gas stove and fume hood. The other huge plus is that it has a big private deck on the roof. Those are my dreams, just to be able to cook and sit outside in the morning while I have my coffee. And it's a good location. The back yard private deck is so much better than even the balconies on big apartment buildings, because the balconies are all right next to each other.

Oh, the other drag is that the landlord is a handyman and does the repairs himself. That's such a huge fucking disadvantage. I've had that at three apartments now and it's been a huge disaster each time. They're always super slow, if you ask them to fix something it seems to be code for "please tear up my apartment and then leave your tools in it for a month and maybe stop by for an hour every other week". Then they act so smug and pleased with themselves when they actually fix something for you. You know, I'm sure a professional would've done a better job much faster, and it's just your duty to have things fixed, so stop acting like I should praise your amazing skills and thank you over and over. In reality *you* should be thanking *me* for letting you play your handyman dressup game on my time in my home.

I also looked at this place in the Trace Lofts. It's ridiculous, it makes me angry. For one thing, like so many of the new apartments, it's basically a shoebox with a hole cut in one end. It's long and skinny and only one skinny side has windows. It's also just a bit open space with no rooms, no closets. Okay, fine, it's a "loft", it's all urban and trendy and cool. But the whole fucking point of those big industrial loft conversions is that they SUCK so they're really cheap, so broke artists can afford them, which is what makes them cool. This place is expensive as balls and it's targetted at yuppies who want to play like they're urban cool artists and pay out the nose for nice fixtures but still get all the suckitude of not actually having rooms or doors or closets. So dumb. (the penthouses on top of the Trace Lofts seem amazing, the one available is in the old building part). (hell the penthouse is only $2250 , well well worth the $250 for the upgrade) (if you want to go to outrageous rents like that this looks nice too).

If I don't get the ridiculous duplex I might just rent a house. You can get whole houses now for around $1600/mo that are just slightly out of the main area here. There are several in the 19th & Prospect area for around that, which is a bit of a long walk to the happening area but still walkable, and there's even one at 16th and Harrison which is not far at all. If you rent a house, noone lives above you.

19 comments:

? said...

Did you check Equity Apartments?
http://www.equityapartments.com/

BK

cbloom said...

"Equity Apartments"

Well that was a waste of a minute. It has nothing.

Other sites that are wastes of time :

OLX
NWApts
SeattleRentals
Apartments.com
Sublet.com

etc.

cbloom said...

BTW unrelated but Seattle is home to the Lothlorien Apartments -

http://www.lothlorienapartments.com/

perfect home for all the larpers up here.

castano said...

All those options look pretty good. Heck, in the Bay Area for those prices you wouldn't get more than a shitty apartment made of cardboard and plastic.

Lothlorien: reminds me to Village Homes in Davis, which is modeled after the Shire.

cbloom said...

Whoah Village Homes actually sounds really cool.

http://www.villagehomesdavis.org/public/about/commons_gardens

it's like a utopian suburb

Dave Moore said...

Hey look, you can actually see the Broadway place being built on gmaps.

http://tinyurl.com/mwv2nc

(View from Harvard, in the back.)

cbloom said...

No sir, that's this :

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/744-Harvard-Ave-E-101-Seattle-WA-98102/2140004382_zpid/

one of the many many new condo / townhomes around.

Autodidactic Asphyxiation said...

Last October I was looking at 1-bedroom and studio apartments in NYC. I was seriously considering an alcove studio in Battery Park City near TriBeCa for $2750/mo.

Ginzo said...

Why wouldn't you rent a house? It's cheaper, you have privacy, and you don't need to worry about neighbors and noise WITHIN the home (outside, of course, depends upon chance). Living with your landlord, who's your repairman, seems like suck, as does living in a fucking attic.

billyzelsnack said...

My house is one mile from the downtown here, but I don't complain about it and it is close enough to go everyday.

There's a club that I like to go to that is two miles away. Every time I walk it just seems too damn far away.

Next time I buy a house I'll be using the one mile radius metric.

Aaron said...

I don't think you could pay me to share a wall/floor with my landlord. Ick...

Houses for the win, and don't rush it! You've been looking for what, a week? Give it some more time and find something more better.

cbloom said...

"Last October I was looking at 1-bedroom and studio apartments in NYC. I was seriously considering an alcove studio in Battery Park City near TriBeCa for $2750/mo."

Yeah, but it's NYC, a hovel is like $2000/mo.

It feels more outrageous to me here because I could literally rent a whole 5 BR house for $2000/mo if I went out a little bit to where the old people live (5 miles away).

But yeah I agree with Billy's one mile rule. I'm lazy and I won't actually ever leave my house unless I live right near the happenings.

" Why wouldn't you rent a house? It's cheaper, you have privacy, and you don't need to worry about neighbors and noise WITHIN the home (outside, of course, depends upon chance). Living with your landlord, who's your repairman, seems like suck, as does living in a fucking attic."

Indeed. Attic will get hot on the sunny days and probably freezing in the winter. But the kitchen is so great!

cbloom said...

I'm a little worried that the intersection of all wants is the empty set.

Tom Forsyth said...

So let me get this straight - you want space, privacy, reasonable rents, good parking, and hate commuting to work? Time to go Eastside, young man. Joiiiiiin usssss...

cbloom said...

yeah it's kind of tempting.

.. but then I remember I haven't given up on being alive just yet.

Aaron said...

The only reason to do it would be if you could structure it so you had a perfect bike commute to work. About 30 min. Then you'd have to wrap your whole life around that commute, and remember to do it in the winter-time.

Oh, andremember not to be frustrated when traffic is bad and it takes you 30 min to DRIVE a few miles somewhere Eastside, when you coulda just driven to Seattle in almost the same amount of time.

cbloom said...

Yeah I would only do it if I got a place like right by work so I could just walk. And then I'd never go to the city or do anything but work & sleep. Just like when I worked at Wild Tangent and lived in Redmond.

Hell I don't do anything but work & sleep now, so maybe I should just move next to work. Either that or kill myself. Or something in between.

Aaron said...

You should get a place near the water and just jet ski or kayak across lake washington. Your office is perfect for that, right?

Bah why don't gas prices hurry up and skyrocket again so we get some proper public transit around here, then we won't have to worry about it.

Aaron said...

Something in Yarrow Bay would be ideal (obviously, as it's loaded with rich people). Relatively quick access to Seattle since it's right next to the bridge. A quick drive to downtown Bellevue (there's some good food there, and more all the time), and you could maybe even bike to Kirkland from there. Good luck finding anything decent that doesn't cost a mint.

old rants