5/04/2009

05-04-09 - Cock Ass Shit

God damn all you drivers on your cell phones with your giant fucking Suburbans and whatnot that I can't see around, and when you come right into my lane I know you wouldn't even feel me in an accident so I just have to make evasive maneuvers.

God damn all you rubberneckers. Just because there's a fucking cop stopped on the opposite side of the freeway doesn't mean you need to slam on your breaks and look over there. JUST FUCKING GO. Your job when are your driving is to rapidly vacate the space you are in so someone else can use it. Get the fuck on. God damn all you slow movers leaving giant gaps. When you leave a huge gap in front of you, people just keep tucking in to it, and that slows down every single person behind you. It's not curteous, it's fucking rude to the entire line of cars in your lane behind you. God damn all you people who don't accelerate after getting past a jam up. It's your duty to get the flow moving again. When you get through a constriction, like a 3->2 lane reduction, it's your duty to step on it to create a pressure drop to pull the people behind you in more quickly.

God damn you people who don't park up against the edge of the possible parking area, so that we only get two cars on a curb that should fit three. God damn you people who pull up to a red light on a street with two lanes and block the right lane when the left was open, preventing me from turning right on red.

God damn KEXP for playing fucking WoPop and Shake the Shack and all that weirdo awful music right through the drive time rush hour. God damn Seattle for having all the good game companies on the east side and all the good hipsters on the west side. God damn all you motherfuckers cheating in the carpool lane; yes I see you, and yes it's a 3 person carpool lane, 2 does not cut it. God damn all you onramp users who drive as far as possible forward in the carpool lane and then jam yourself into the line unsmoothly, resulting in blocking the carpool lane and causing a big fracas in the right lane because you didn't zipper where you had a good opening.

God damn ING Direct for asking me so many fucking questions every time I log in. I can't remember them all so I have to write them down on a piece of paper next to my monitor. Great fucking security system, thanks a lot for making my transaction more secure. In fact it is great for them because they have pushed the fault to me and can claim that they did everything they should.


There's a ton of RPG's and Fantasy RPG/RTS games I never heard of :

King's Bounty: The Legend
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Mount & Blade
Elven Legacy
Kohan II: Kings of War


I hate the feeling of being a slave to the traffic schedule. I hate waking up in the morning around 8 and knowing I can't leave for work until after 10. I'm ready to go! Fuck. Then around noon each day at work it hits me that I'm gonna be stuck until 7 or 7:30. Often that's fine, I'm gonna work until then anyway, but just knowing that I'm fucking stuck and don't have my liberty gives me a flash of panic and frustration. I just want to work until my brain is exhausted and then go home.

I have the same kind of feeling at home with the noisy neighbors. They haven't really even been that bad recently, but every time I hear a bit of noise I worry if it's just a precursor to a storm. Even if nothing happens it makes me tense and worried. Every day if I think about going to sleep early I wonder if it will be okay or if I should stay up and wait for them to go to sleep first.


Here's a puzzle for you : WTF is a Cafe Creme ? The French style espresso with cream; I mean, I know what it is, but what *exactly* ? How would I get one in the US ? It's not exactly just an espresso with cream added; maybe the cream is foamed or something; I think the shots are long pulls too but can't say for sure.


The Julie and Julia movie literally makes me sick to my stomach. I adore Julia Child much like I adore Jacques Pepin. She (Julia) was a nut, someone completely full of life, an independent spirit, a trailblazer. This fucking Julie whore is some stupid whiney blogger. Get the fuck out of my movie about Julia Child. How dare you even be mentioned in the same breath. I'm revolted by the glorification of bloggers. Look I like reading blogs as much as the next guy, but I know perfectly well it's akin to reading tabloids. It's trash, it's insignificant.

The revolting trend of food bloggers who think way too much of themselves makes me want to just check out of life so I that I don't have to be connected to them in any way. I'm sick of reading fucking Michael Ruhlman constantly blogging about the media ventures with other bloggers or the success of his fucking book. I'm sick of the GastroGnome name dropping about what fucking special invite-only food event she got invited to. It's fucking self-indulgent self-aggrandizing gossip. Write about fucking food and that's all. If you want to write a cookbook that's about the recipes, fine fine. But don't write a fucking book about being a food blogger! Be more like Dave Lebovitz .

4 comments:

Aaron said...

I have a reverse problem with onramp mergers who all want to get on as quickly as possible. There's like 500 feet of space to merge. Don't just line up behind some other douche who's merging in. Go ahead of him and take the next available slot. AND if you see that up ahead there's a clot of folk trying to get it, just jump in where you are. Seattle folk drive just insufferably slow. No traffic. 5mph under the speed limit.

James said...

The proportion of cycling of lazy fat kids who roll instead of walk and absurd fixie hipsters is so high these days no car believes i'm going more than 10 miles an hour or that I can actually accelerate from a stop. I almost die getting turned across daily.



king's bounty and sacred are both so similar to heroes omm and diablo2 respectively the odds that you'll like those but disliked their analogues or didn't play their analogues until you were horribly sick of them seems slim. Sacred arguably doesn't have much more than diablo to offer, as well as being strangely hardware intensive and buggy as heck. I tried to get into it and failed.
King's Bounty actually deserves a look if you've just never played heroes, as the combat seems a bit smarter than heroes which had tons of objectively shit units and pretty much one clearly most powerful set of secondary skills/spells (with rare except of necromancers *actually* using necromantic spells because their town depends on heroes with shit stats)
Mount and Blade is awesome, but really tedious even when it's fun. The game feels very incomplete but is easily modded; re-drawing the maps into more strategic configurations and some slight combat alterations make a huge improvement, but it takes playing the game for most of the honey-moon period to figure out what needs fixing.
There's some big graphics enhancements as well as mods to turn up the battles from paltry 30v30 per wave to proper 300v300 battles with huge banks of archers and masses of infantry so large they swallow cavarly and churn them to paste.
Once you get out of the period you're horribly poor and disorganized the game basically becomes enormous whack-a-mole as there's no real way to delegate any responsibility in maintaining a kingdom to anyone.


It should go without saying (a phrase I hate using, but I believe it evokes something completely different from its literal definition that I mean to get across (Is there a way to say 'it should go without saying' without actually saying that? and also without sounding either condescending or like a douche in general?)) but, obviously what I have to say about those games won't mean much to you, but I feel like hearing people talk is almost always more useful than metacritic mashups or even your most trusted reviewer (trusted as in familiar, with reference points, like roger ebert).




My usual trick for finding tricky definitions of words often anglicized (almost always comes up related to food) is to search the wikipedia or wiktionary of the origin language
1. Café dans lequel on ajoute un peu de crème fraîche ou un nuage de lait.
Which I'd wager you understand.

cbloom said...

"I almost die getting turned across daily."

Drivers that don't wait for peds or cyclists really should get punched in the groin. People are such fucking inconsistent retards, when the road is wide open and empty in front of them they drive 5 mph under the speed limit. Then when they get into a busy urban area with lots of pedestrians around, they can't wait for one second at an intersection, they have to speed around a blind corner.

Yeah Mount & Blade looks really ambitious and compelling but badly executed. I don't understand why small indie developers keep trying to bite off too much. Just do something small and do it well.

I think I'll try King's Bounty; I never played HoMM but I liked FFT and VH.

"1. Café dans lequel on ajoute un peu de crème fraîche ou un nuage de lait."

Yeah, not too useful. What's a nuage de lait? A cloud of milk? WTF is that? What kind of coffee?

James said...

"Yeah, not too useful. What's a nuage de lait? A cloud of milk? WTF is that? What kind of coffee?"
I mean...the question is probably either espresso or very strong press? With how dark the roast I would presume is used and how much dairy, I'm not sure there's that much difference between the two.

nuage de lait means a splash of milk at the last moment without stirring, giving the visual of clouds of milk. and I would assume frothed milk, on account of you're adding room temperature creme fraiche and you don't cool it down too much, and anyone with an espresso machine can heat milk easily that way.

just guesses, but have found only support for them.

old rants