3/14/2009

03-14-09 - Merge

I've created this fucking nightmare for myself where I have like 4 different slightly different versions of the same code. I've got my home Galaxy3, my home cblib, my work Galaxy3, my work cblib, the old Exoddus code, and the Oodle Core, and they're all quite similar but a bit different.

Once a week or so I've been trying to merge the bug fixes I do in one bit to the other bits, and it's been just awful. Today on this miserable Saturday I've got a miserable big bit of merging to do. So I went and got the free trial of Araxis Merge.

On the plus side, the GUI is slightly better than P4 merge. On the minus side, the actual merge is completely miserable.

WTF. It seems completely unable to find identical blocks that are just moved.

Like if I in one file I have


AAAA

BBBB

CCCC

And in the next file I have

CCCC

BBBB

AAAA

it totally freaks and just shows that as a big diff. It should show me that stuff is just swapped in location.

I usually wind up doing the merge just by doing windiff between the dirs and then manually applying the edits. Not fun.

The other thing I'd like to see is detection of synonyms. A common thing I have is "gAssert" in Galaxy is "ASSERT" in cblib and "RR_ASSERT" in Oodle. You should be able to detect that. Even if it was a manual config file of synonyms associated with directories that would be okay.

No comments:

old rants