2/17/2009

02-17-09 - Tech Image Series

Won sent me this awesome Chairlift Video made from intentionally messed up MPEG video. I love it; and also inspired by I get your Fail I thought I'd post some images I have on my disk that I've accrued during dev. Man, there were so many cooler things that I don't have images of, I wish I took screenshots of everything. I always thought "why screenshot it when I have the app which I can run" but apps die. Some of them were so cool I almost want to recreate them, like the time-lapse frame traces I did for the Motion code in Stranger where every object left a trail of its previous positions behind it that faded out over time. But I digress...

Anyhoo, here's our first in the series :

I made images like this back when I was working on Progressive Meshes. It was hard to find good quality high poly meshes to test with back then, so I had the idea of running the PM on an image as a mesh. I load a bitmap and make two triangles for each pixel, and put the pixel colors on the vertices. Then I just run the normal PM collapser in Galaxy and it automatically removes flat areas.

You can see the PM does a pretty nice job of edge detection and whatnot; compare to the original :

It was a great test of the tech, but I thought the images were really pretty too. And amusingly they get more interesting looking as the triangle count gets lower and created the cool cubist effects of big jagged triangles of color gradients. (in the above picture it's been taken from 128k triangles down to 1768).

Here's a bonus, simplified Lena in wireframe :

5 comments:

Aaron said...

Ooh, I'd like to see that in high res.

Autodidactic Asphyxiation said...

I'd like to see you do the PM on a movie. You would probably have to chose vertices based on motion as well as color.

Also, it would be interesting to take the diff of the PM image and the original, and store the diff as a compressed texture and see how good the image looks. Maybe the mesh of the image is an "envelope" that captures both low/high color values (or equivalently, mean/spread) and the compressed "diff" texture interpolates in that range.

nothings said...

That chairlift video is amazingly sweet. Thanks for linking it (and thanks Won)!

Autodidactic Asphyxiation said...

My pleasure. It is easy to find interesting things when you have an in at YouTube. Still working on the "hump matrix."

nothings said...

what happened to these images?

old rants