1/16/2009

01-15-09 - Gay Sex

I came home early today to do some errands and work from home and miss the traffic. It was actually somewhat sunny today for the first time in weeks, so I thought I should take a walk and get some fresh air while the opportunity exists. So I went for a stroll around Cap Hill and decided to cut through Volunteer Park as I often do.

Whoah. Volunteer Park is an anonymous gay sex hookup spot. I've often seen cars parked in this one spot and guys sitting in them but I never really put it together until today. I'll give explicit directions so that all you closeted Seattle gays who want an anonymous hookup can go check it out :

In the middle of the park is a reservoir. A one way road runs through the park ringing the reservoir. If you drive this road around to the west side of the reservoir, so you're down the hill in a sort of neglected spot with no view and lots of trees, there are a bunch of cars just randomly parked. In these cars are single men waiting for the hookup. They sit there and wait, and young men approach the cars and they make some signal if they're interested. There's a path on the hillside to the east (near the reservoir) that goes up hill to the big open field with the stage. The stage has bathrooms, and the men go in there. After the deed is done they walk back to their cars.

I've seen little bits of this before, but it was this last walk that I saw today which finally made me put it all together. I was walking up the path by the reservoir and saw two guys come out of the bathroom; they didn't say anything to each other though they glanced at each other. One walked ahead down the path, the other just stood there awkwardly a second to let some space between them, and then walked down himself. They both had that awkward look like "I didn't just do anything".

3 comments:

AK said...

So *that's* why you went for a walk yesterday. Mmmhmm...

Tom Forsyth said...

Dude - "gay sex" is just when two people of the same sex shag each other. Objectionable to god-botherers, but hardly shocking to those of us brought up the in the 20th century.

This on the other hand is what the British call "cottaging" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottaging), or in the US they refer to it as a "tea house".

cbloom said...

Ah, the British make everything seem so quaint and charming. Cottages! lovely.

BTW one of the sucky things about RSS is I can't change post titles. Actually I could do a whole rant about RSS/Atom ; I think feeds are absolutely atrocius and a terrible way to deliver content. All you really need is a one bit dirty flag for pages and then let me go to the original page with its original layout and context and everything, don't deliver the damn post atoms out of context and with rotten formatting.

old rants