4/24/2008

04-24-08 - 1

I tell a lot of the companies I'm talking to that I want to work on "technology". I get the impression that they think that means I want to go off in a corner and do impractical pie in the sky researchy junk. Not at all. Something like figuring out the best way to turn gamepad stick deflection into character motion is a very interesting piece of technology. Writing Maya UI boxes to expose shader parameters to artists for the standardized shaders is "wiring". To me lots of aspects of gameplay programming or seemingly mundane things are actually "technology", it's more a question of whether the problem is already solved and I'm just plugging in a known solution, or whether it's something where I have some freedom to find the right answer.

In video games, the most basic aspects of the player interaction are still some of the most unsolved. How do the sticks turn into motion. How does that motion show in animations. How does physics & kinematic animation interact. How does physics limit your motion. How does a 3rd person camera track the player & the action. etc. very basic stuff, really not solved, and lots of interesting technology to work on.

No comments:

old rants