12/02/2007

12-02-07 - 1

I think maybe I don't actually really like chocolate chip cookies. When I think of making them I get all excited, but I think that's just the Pavlovian response from childhood and rememberances of mommy and all that kind of nonsense. When I actually eat them the first few bites are good, but after that they're just too sweet and insipid and the sugar gives me a headache.

Anyway, Nigella Lawson's recipe is the bomb. She calls for 2 cups of flour. Instead I use 1.5 cups of flour + 1 cup of oatmeal. You barely even notice the oatmeal in the resulting cookie, it just gives it a little more substance. They're pretty amazing the first 5 minutes after they come out of the oven. BTW That's why I think "Specialty's" bakery is the best store-bought cookie I've ever had; the quality of their cookies is not the best in the world, but they're constantly making new ones so you can always get them fresh out of the oven with the chocolate chunks still all melted, which is such a trump factor over all the fancy pantsy bakeries that serve hours-old gourmet garbage.

No comments:

old rants