9/18/2007

09-18-07 - 1

I wrote back on 8-13-06 about how shitty most heirloom tomatoes are. One thing that has caught on here which I can totally get behind is "dry farmed" tomatoes. Dry farming just means using either no artificial irrigation or just minimal watering, which makes the tomatoes firm and very flavorful, as opposed to your average grocery store tomato which they water as much as possible to make it swell up because they sell it by weight, of course that just waters down the already bland flavor. The dry-farmed Early Girls at the local farmers markets are almost as good as a real home grown tomato.

I dry farmed tomatoes at Alrita Street one year, but actually overdid it a bit; the flavor was intense and delicious, but they were too dense and the skin was very tough. Anyway it's awesome to see that things are sorting of straightening out and growers are actually producing what's best, instead of what's most profitable (big watery tomatoes) or what's trendy (organic heirlooms or some such nonsense). I remember checker telling me that Fuji apples were the sign that people were okay after all; I wasn't convinced, but dry farmed early girls do give me some hope for civilization.

No comments:

old rants