11/13/2006

11-13-06 - 1

The stupid American government system has this property that if you can ever get 51% of the vote, you can do incredibly extreme thing that piss off the other 49%. You can also very easily stay in power by drawing district lines, giving favors/contracts to big donors, using your office for PR, etc. In a reasonable system you would have representation proportional to the backing of the people, instead we have a very fucked up threshold system where 51%->100%. In the US system, things seem to work better if power is split by the two parties, eg. one holds the presidency and the other holds congress, but that fact is simply an indication that the system is badly broken and too boolean.

No comments:

old rants