3/18/2006

03-19-06 [poker] - 1

03-19-06 [poker]

I've gone back to a bad habit recently in my poker play, which is giving too much credit to my opponents. The opposite is just playing by pot control, vanilla basic play, like - he bet big, I won't call without a big hand, I don't care that it doesn't make sense, or - I have a big hand, I'll bet big, I have junk, I'll fold. Playing by pot control is a winning strategy against crazy random nonsensical players. In the past few sessions I've been doing things like thinking "he just pushed all-in in a tiny pot, he wouldn't do that with the nuts, he'd try to milk it more and not scare me, okay, I call with the 4th nuts", or "I know he has a weak hand, and I've shown tons of strength, I'll push all in and there's no way he can call". Well, guess what, he did just push all in with the nuts, and he did call my all in with a weak hand. Back to basics.

I think it's since I moved up levels I've been feeling like I need to step my game up to the next level, and I'm trying too hard to make good plays. I need to go back to just playing the way I was, basic solid poker, and then move on from there.

No comments:

old rants