2/03/2006

02-03-06 - 3

02-03-06

Windows is such a cock-ass operating system. I have 1 G of RAM and never use more than 500 M, and yet Windows in its infinite wisdom chooses to page out my active applications so that it can use more memory for its caches. Then when I task switch it chugs because it has to go to disk to page them back in. I've seen a lot of articles in the past from Microsoft "MVP's" where they talk about how you shouldn't interfere with Windows memory management, because it will do the best job possible, blah blah blah. Caching 100 M of disk data that's only being read once by tossing out my app's memory image is not good. (yes, I have a fixed-size paging file, and yes I've set the Memory Manager to optimize for Programs not System Cache).

Of my 1G of RAM, Windows is often using over 700k for System Cache !!

No comments:

old rants